Labels

Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Texas and Politics

I finally got Internet service on our home computer and was so excited to show you what I've been doing to the house, but for some reason I can't sign in to anything, even my bank. Since I'm computer illiterate I'll have to have my nine-year check it out for me...pitiful!
So, because I can't post pictures I'll share with you'll some bits about Texas and politics. You know I'm obsessed with politics and the Republican primary has me pumped because the three leaders as of now are a Texan, a Mormon, and a woman I totally like! I'll share my thoughts on Romney and Bachmann later and just share a few observations I've made about Texas since moving here a little over a year ago.
The pros of Texas...jobs! Being in the construction business has been tough the last five years or so. Nearly everyone of our family and friends in construction have been out of work at some point or have at least had a significant cut in work and pay. But houses are still being built here. And, we have met so many families that have moved here in the past one to two years for work and not just in the construction field.
The schools are overall more challenging than in South Carolina. Our gifted and talented program here is definitely not as rigorous as Summerville, SC or Lumberton, TX, but in looking at the general class work, Texas schools are more challenging than SC.
The cost of living is slightly more affordable here. You get more house for your money here. And not having state income taxes puts a little extra spending money in your pocket.
Now for the cons...litter! We drove through five Southern states to get to Texas and the one significant difference I noticed...the trash! Everywhere! The interstate, the parks, the beach. South Carolinians would never put up with litter on their money-making beaches. The 4th of July is a hoorah in Myrtle Beach and tourists leave trash everywhere. But, the very next morning the residents do a sweep of the beach and get it sparkling clean again. On a recent trip to the beach in Galveston it was difficult to find a place to set up because of all the trash. There were wrappers, swimsuits, a huge knife the kids dug up while building a sand castle, and even used love-making supplies (so freaking gross!!!). Texans, when you finish your drink from McDonalds don't throw it out your car window. Just put it in your cup holder until you get to your destination and pop it in a trash can. It is so easy.
So, what do I think of Perry. I think he's a good Governor! I like the fact that he would rather cut spending than increase taxes. For critics who complain about schools losing some money I say ha... No matter how much money we throw at schools they keep getting worse. One, because there is too much legislation in the classroom, two, because teachers unions have insane demands and expectations for teacher pay and pensions, three, because we have way too many administrators getting paid way too much, and fourthly, because too many parents expect the school to handle our overindulged children's bad behavior instead of teaching and expecting our children to shut up and behave in class so every kid gets a chance to learn. Now off that aside.
I like Texas. I like Perry, so far. Right now I think my favorite ticket would be Perry for Prez with Romney as his running mate. We've got a long way to go, but it looks good to me. Aren't any of the top 5-6 Republican candidates better than what we have right now? Yeah!!!

1 comment:

Chad and Carole said...

This was a very entertaining post for me. And the whole trash thing is way gross.