Labels

Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

First up...Kennedy's Quilt

Kennedy has been wanting a more mature room ever since I first decorated her Myrtle Beach room in a garden theme...mural and all.  Now that she truly is a 'tween and will be sharing her room with a little sister for a while, it is time she got an update.  Of course,  Kennedy wanted a totally modern, bright, polka dot room in lemon and lime colors which totally doesn't go with my decorating style.  But, when I spotted a cute kind of polka dot quilt on the cover of a quilting magazine and took Kennedy on a trip to the fabric store I knew we could come up with a compromise.  We cut out the circles on my Cricut Expression and ironed on the circles and their outlines onto white squares.  Then we sewed around the circles and outlines leaving a little space for fraying.  This quilt should get prettier as time goes on.  I did most of the cutting and sewing while Kennedy did most of the ironing.  It was my first quilted quilt... I've always tied before...and it was fun, if not totally perfect, except for sewing the binding (my fingers were sore).  This quilt will be the inspiration for a combination 'tween and toddler girl room when we move to our next home.  (Does it seem like we are always moving????  We are.)  Kennedy wants to accent the room with owls, so our next project is to make a few owl throw pillows.  I saw some cute ones at Target that I'll use for inspiration and I have a few cute owls on my Cricut cartridges.  Girl fun...I love it!

1 comment:

Chad and Carole said...

Good job! It looks great. I'm excited to see some of the other stuff you mentioned in your previous post. If you're bored, you could hop a flight to Salt Lake and come craft with me!